India’s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared many defence related projects:
- Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems, worth around Rs 39,000-crore.
- 571 light bullet-proof vehicles under ‘Buy-Make’ category, to be used in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations, at a cost of Rs 310 crore.
- 120 trawls to be used on Russia-origin T-72 and T-90 tanks under “Buy Global” category for Rs 450 crore.
- Digitisation of 24 Pechora Air Defence system for Rs 1,200 crore.
- Electronic warfare system for the Indian Army to be deployed in the mountain region, worth Rs 425-crore.This would be developed by the DRDO and produced by BEL.
- Purchase of six regiments of the Pinaka rocket system under the ‘Make in India’ category for Rs 14,600 crore. Each regiment of the Pinaka comes with 18 launchers and every launcher has the capability of firing 12 rockets at the same time.
- Five Fleet Support Ships worth Rs 9000 crores For Indian Navy under ‘Make in India’ category. To be built by Hindustan Shipyard.