During the 9th meeting of India-US Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI), a joint Statement of Intent (SoI) that formalized their intention to co-develop a range of cutting-edge war fighting technologies and systems has been signed on 24 Oct 2019. The projects include three short-term projects, two mid-term projects and two long-term projects for co development.
The short -term projects are:-
- Air-launched, small UAS.
- Lightweight small arms technology project building rifles, carbines and machine guns and Ammunition from lightweight polymer cast material.
- Intelligence, surveillance, targeting and reconnaissance (ISTAR) a command and control software that enables coherent battlefield command.
The mid-term projects are:-
- Maritime domain awareness is termed “Sea Link Advanced Analysis.
- Virtual augmented mixed reality for aircraft maintenance (VAMRAM).
The long-term projects are:-
- Terrain-shaping obstacles increasing the lethality of traditional obstacles such as mines and barbed wire.
- Counter UAS rocket artillery and mortar” or CU-RAM.
- Apart from the above there are other areas as well in which both the nations have cooperated includes “Aircraft carrier technology cooperation (ACTC), co-development of Raven micro-UAS; mission-specific interiors for C-130J Super Hercules aircraft; a mobile electric-hybrid power source, and protective clothing for soldiers in a nuclear contaminated battlefield have not made any headway. The collaboration on developing high-performance, aerospace jet engines has now been scrapped.